As I noted last month, the Caribbean Parade will commence at Georgia and Kansas Avenues this year, instead of the usual commencement point at Georgia and Missouri Avenues. So this means Brightwood is not as directly affected by the parade as it has been in the past, but if your plans for that day take you south on Georgia, you'll have quite a few street closings to contend with. Here's the lowdown from MPD:
The following street closings will begin at 6:00 am and are expected to reopen at approximately 4:00 pm:
Parade Staging area:
• Upshur Street NW from Georgia Avenue, NW to 13th Street
• Iowa Avenue NW from Georgia Ave to Allison Street NW
• Georgia Avenue NW from Kansas Ave to Allison Street NW
• Georgia Avenue NW from Kansas Avenue to Florida Avenue, NW
The following street closings will begin at 6:00 am and are expected to reopen at approximately 9:00 pm:
Festival Perimeter area:
• 9th Street NW from Florida Avenue northbound to end of circle
(By the Sherman tower dorms of Howard University)
• 8th Street NW from V St to Barry Place
• Barry Place NW from Georgia Avenue to Sherman Avenue
All street closures and listed times are subject to change based upon prevailing or unexpected conditions.
Motorists could encounter possible delays if operating in the vicinity of this event and may wish to consider alternative routes.
The Metropolitan Police Department and the D.C. Department of Transportation also wishes to remind motorists in the vicinity of this event to proceed with caution as increased pedestrian traffic can be anticipated.