Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Capital Bikeshare ignores Upper Georgia Avenue; join anyway

The website for the new Capital Bikeshare program has launched, and the program itself will launch in September. They're running a special introductory offer on annual memberships ($50 instead of the usual $75), so go join.

Examine their map of proposed bike station locations and you'll notice that Ward 4 is horribly underserved. Yes, I complained about this to DDOT, telling them that I hope more Ward 4 stations will be added should the program prove to be phenomenally successful.

Usually, when a non-Brightwoodian asks me what it's like to live in a neighborhood that's not served by Metro, I reply that it doesn't affect me much since I personally am pretty stalwart about using my bike as my main form of transportation. Wouldn't the presence of Capital Bikeshare stations in our neighborhood help others to get around our admittedly transportationally-challenged neck of the woods more easily? I hope DDOT recognizes this in the future.

1 comment:

  1. I am hoping that they will look at where their memberships are (since you give your address when you join) and look at usage for planning of bikes stations.

    ReplyDelete